Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What to think of Lance Armstrong


 "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." 

The opening words to A Tale of Two Cities are perfectly analogous to the tale of the two very different lives of Lance Armstrong. Lance, the hero, who has inspired millions in their fight against cancer and Lance, the alleged cheater, who beat the system and has fooled everyone.

I'm torn. I'm torn on what to feel about recent allegations of Lance Armstrong's alleged drug use. I'm torn for two reasons...

As a cyclist, Lance is my hero. He is my motivation and the main reason I became interested in the sport. I've spent countless hours on YouTube watching replays of his greatest moments. Moments in which he dug down deep and conquered innumerable obstacles in the form of mountains, competitors and terrible weather.

However, I'm driven by integrity, honesty and the moral obligation I feel to do things the right way, at all times and in all places, regardless of who sees me. While I certainly fall short at times, it's a driving force, as both the person I want to become, and in the way I respect and admire others.

So here I am, in the middle of a moral dilemma pitting a personal hero and role model who has inspired me and countless others to find better versions of ourselves, against a man who has allegedly cheated and beat the system to achieve fame and glory.

What to do, what to do?

Lets start with the facts. Lance Armstrong won the world's toughest and most grueling cycling race, The Tour de France, seven consecutive times from 1999-2005. He also defeated cancer in the late nineties and his comeback story has inspired millions of cancer survivors around the world.

He is currently under investigation by the federal government for using illegal performance-enhancing drugs. This week alone, three of Armstrong's former teammates, Tyler Hamilton, Frankie Andreu and close friend George Hincapie, have come out publicly saying they watched Armstrong use the drugs and talked with him about his use.

I could go on and on about my disdain for cheating, lying and anything dishonest. Additionaly, I could go on and on about the merits of what Lance has accomplished as both a cyclist and cancer survivor. The divide between the two sides of this argument is terrific. 

Each person has their own set of values and standards, so I won't attempt to offer a solution that works for everyone. I am working through this issue in my head as the accusations and testimonies continue to be made available to the public. 

In the mean time, I love what Lance has done for the cancer world and the world of cycling. Performance enhancing drugs aside, guilty or not, his positive effect on both worlds is significant and permanent. He has done incredible amounts of good for people around the globe. 

He has lifted the spirits of thousands of cancer patients who found strength in Lance where they otherwise may have found nothing more than darkness and despair. Millions of dollars have been raised through his Livestrong foundation, which has been used to help provide answers, hope and treatments for people who are in need of all three.

For those who aren't affected by cancer, Lance has inspired a healthier way of living whereby we can increase our day-to-day health, while lowering our risk of future ailments.

Whether he cheated or not, it will not change the lasting impact he has had on all who have benefited from the positive work Lance Armstrong has accomplished in his career. 

Did he cheat? Maybe. And if he did, it will alter my view of him. However, at this time, I will focus on the good I know he has done rather than on the bad he has potentially done.

5 comments:

  1. If he did EPO, then I am too!! And then I'm redoing the Alpe 'de Huez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.. We can both do EPO and redo the Alpe d'Huez together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rihana??

    where is it appropriate to comment on the sports babe???
    you think she's hot? huh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His problem is Hincapie he has street credict in the sport and now he is coming out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Georgie being one of his closest friends and owner or a great reputation, really hurts lance. Still, I will focus on the good he has done. @Des, yes, Rihanna, she is pretty, but just for you, i created a "Rate this week's sports babe" poll!

    ReplyDelete